If you’re struggling for a healthy snack that’ll help you get the right muscle building fuel, these flapjack-style bars are a tasty solution. High in protein, packed with healthy energy for workout fuel, and just enough healthy fats to keep your muscle and strength-building hormones in check. These oat-banana bars are a great pre- or post-workout snack, or even quickie breakfast idea whether you’re trying to build muscle, or just drop a little body fat. Gluten-free and vegan too.
- 2 cups gluten free rolled oats
- 1 cup mashed banana (about 2-3 medium bananas)
- 2/3 cup vanilla protein powder (about 4 large scoops)
- 1/2 cup natural peanut butter (can be substituted for cashew or almond butter)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1/2 cup mixed nuts and seeds (pick your favourites!)
- 1/2 cup dried fruit such as cranberries, raisins or goji berries (anything goes!)
- 1/4 cup brewed black tea (e.g., English breakfast, Assam, Masala Chai)
- 1-2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- (Optional) 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup or pure honey
- Preheat the oven to 175c (350f), and prepare a 8-inch baking tin with baking paper. As picture shown you can also shape these in to bars or cookies if you prefer.
- Brew your tea for a few minutes in boiling water and remove the bag/leaves.
- Next, simply place all of the ingredients in to a bowl and combine well.
- Once an even mix is formed you can taste and see if you need to add any extra sweetness, such as maple or honey.
- Pour the mix in to the lined baking tin, or shape in to 12 cookies/bars and place on a sheet of baking paper.
- Put the tin in the oven at 175c (350f) for 25 minutes, or around 18 minutes for cookies/bars.
- Take out of the oven and leave to cool before cutting/serving.
- The quantities shown should make 12 bars, but they can be made smaller or larger depending on your calorie requirements.
I build Olympians, Cover Models and those who want to look like them. Author or “Ultimate Abs” available in all good book stores.