As part of the Hi-Pro Nutrition Top 50 Personal Trainers Challenge, I was recently given the task of coming up with a healthy recipe using their new high protein peanut butter. Truth be told I was slightly hesitant about accepting this challenge without ever having tried their products before. If anyone’s ever seen the Friends episode where Monica’s set the job of coming up with recipes using ‘Chocolate’, you’ll know what I mean when I say this is exactly what I was dreading was going to happen; the products would be horrible and any recipe I’d make with them would only work if I used lots of other ingredients to mask the flavour……
My mind was made up when I opened my first pot of Hi-Pro Crunchy Peanut Butter. It was the best peanut butter I had ever tasted, hands down, and as you may know I looooove peanut butter. The thing I loved about it more than its taste though was how it was made. Other high protein peanut butter companies need to add things like whey protein to increase the protein content, but not Hi-pro. At 33% protein, lots of body friendly fats, and only about 5% carbohydrate, the main ingredients are Roasted Peanuts (77%), Roasted Peanut Flour, Palm Oil and Peanut Oil. That’s it!
The recipe I came up with below (and published on the Hi-Pro website HERE), had to therefore be something special. While other Top 50 Personal Trainers came up with simple smoothies (how creative of them ) I set my goals a little higher; A Ben & Jerry’s Ice Cream-inspired Peanut Butter Cup Ice Cream! This recipe is both lean-body friendly and probably one of the tastiest recipes I’ve ever created. The satisfaction and taste even rivals the real thing.
I encourage you to give this recipe a try one weekend. I created this with HI-Pro Smooth Peanut butter, which I recommend, but any Natural Peanut Butter will also work.
Time to make: Lots of waiting around, or time to hit the gym, go for a run or do some housework in between, but only about 30 minutes to put the ingredients together.
Best Time to Eat: If watching your carb intact then stick to having this post-workout only, or ‘cheat clean’ days. Otherwise it makes a perfect healthy treat that’ll highly satisfy any sweet tooth, any time of the day.
Makes: About 3-4 servings, but that depends who’s eating it!
Difficulty: Not too difficult, but a little waiting around to do.
- 2 heaped tsp Arrowroot Powder
- 250 ml Almond Milk
- 3 tbsp HI-Pro Smooth Peanut Butter
- 30g Medjool Dates
- 1 tsp Vanilla Bean Extract
- 100g Fat Free Greek Yogurt
- 60g No Sugar Added or Diabetic Dark Chocolate
- 1 tbsp Stevia (or Sweetener of Choice)
- Place ½ a tablespoon of HI-Pro Smooth Peanut Butter in to each of a couple of muffin cases.
- Melt the No Added Sugar Dark Chocolate in the microwave, slowly for 20 seconds at a time, until the Chocolate is smooth and without any lumps.
- Spoon the melted chocolate in to the muffin cases, over the peanut butter.
- Place the muffin cases in the fridge for at least 30 minutes until the Peanut Butter Cups are set. Complete step 5 while this is happening.
- On a medium heat whisk together the Almond Milk, Vanilla Bean Extract, and Stevia (or sweetener of choice), until the mixture just coats the back of a spoon, or resembles a thin custard-like texture. Be careful not to burn the mixture.
- Take the mixture off the heat and set aside to cool fully. You can also place this in the fridge/freezer to speed the cooling process a little.
- In a blender, blend together until smooth; the cooled custard-like mixture, 2 tablespoons of Peanut Butter, 100g Greek Yogurt and 30g Medjool Dates. The Medjool Dates give the ice-cream a caramelised taste, and act as a natural sweetener.
- Place the mixture in to a freezer-friendly container, able to hold about 1 litre of liquid.
- Take the Peanut Butter Cups out of the fridge and roughly chop, placing them in to the ice cream liquid.
- Place in the freezer for at least 2 hours, with a top on the container or Clingfilm.
- The Ice Cream is best served when left out of the freezer for 5-10 minutes.
Also known as “The Fitness Maverick”, Gareth specializes in smarter training techniques to get you strong and looking great naked year round!