As there seems to be a bit of a peanut butter theme going on with recipes on here at the moment, I thought I’d top it off with one final homage to the versatility of peanut butter, in this savoury Southeast Asian inspired Peanut Satay Sauce. A healthy version of course! Even if you don’t like peanut butter there’s just something about this flavour packed, punchy sauce that can transform a plain bit of meat in to a meal you look forward to. Guilt free, Fitness Maverick approved, and full of healthy fats, protein, and most importantly flavour, this easy recipe goes down as one of my all-time favorites, and definitely worth a try.
Time to make: From prepping, chopping and stirring to the serving bowl in around 15 minutes.
Best Time to Eat: Works well for both lunch and dinner. Serve with some marinated chicken skewers for a healthy, high protein, low carb meal, that’s both simple and super tasty.
Makes: Enough sauce for 3 Servings/ 3 People
- Kcal: 372
- Protein: 11.5g
- Carbs: 11g
- Good Fats: 30g
Difficulty: Pretty simple to make as long as you make sure you keep stirring, if not you’ll have a pan with a load of burnt peanut butter stuck to the bottom of it!
- 10g Coconut Oil
- 2 Heaped TBS (about 100g) Crunchy Peanut Butter
- 1 Small Onion, finely chopped
- 1 Clove Garlic, chopped
- 1 Red Chilli, chopped
- ½ Can of Coconut Milk
- 1 TBS Rice Wine Vinegar or White Vinegar
- 1 TSP Dark Soy Sauce
- Big Pinch of Salt
- Place the coconut oil in to a small saucepan on medium heat and gently fry the onion.
- When the onion is just soft add the chopped chilli and garlic, cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to the pan with the coconut milk first, then throw in the peanut butter, rice wine vinegar, dark soy sauce and pinch of salt in any order.
- Let the mixture simmer for 3-5 minutes, constantly stirring until the peanut butter has combined with everything else.
- Do not let the pan overheat or leave unattended!
- Take the pot off the heat and let the sauce cool down a little before serving.
- …Enjoy with marinated Chicken or Beef skewers and a cheeky hit of veggies for a complete Healthy n’ Lean meal.
Also known as “The Fitness Maverick”, Gareth specializes in smarter training techniques to get you strong and looking great naked year round!