We were set a challenge this week to turn an unhealthy treat in to a healthy one. We successfully made Tim Tams a little while back (basically “penguin biscuits” if you’re from the UK or US) so we asked our social media followers to vote for something new and challenging. We had some crazy ideas suggested, but to make a Carrot Cake healthy and actually taste good seemed like a challenge. Full disclosure, we’re not vegans ourselves and just because something is vegan it doesn’t necessarily make it healthy, but we decided to make a vegan carrot cake because we know some of our readers and followers are. Plus not being able to use eggs in any cake recipe is a bit of a challenge.
We asked for your votes, you voted, and this is us delivering. And wow have we delivered!
This recipe is:
- Refined sugar free
- Gluten free
- Vegan approved
- Packed with healthy fats
- And above all good for the heart and soul
We at thefitnessmaverick.com like to show you how to make our unique healthy recipes using the fewest, simplest steps possible. We’re not professional bakers or chefs, we’re just fitness and nutrition people that happen to have a love for creating exciting recipes that can help you maintain your healthy lifestyle without piling on the weight. Just follow our super simple recipe instructions, and you’ll always get a product we can guarantee will be a body nourishing taste sensation.
For the cake:
- 3 flax eggs (or 3 whole eggs if not vegan)
- 1/3 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/4 cup coconut syrup/nectar or maple syrup
- 1 cup (235g) apple purée (tip: look in the baby food aisle)
- 3/4 cup almond milk (or milk or choice)
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups grated carrot
- 1 1/2 cups ground almonds or almond meal
- 1 1/2 cups gluten free flour mix
- Handful chopped walnuts (optional)
For the frosting:
- 1 cup cashews soaked in water for 2 hours (drained)
- 1/2 cup coconut yogurt (or natural yogurt if not vegan)
- 1 tbs coconut syrup/nectar or maple syrup
- 2 tbs melted coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
For the cake:
- Preheat the oven to 160c, and line a loaf tin or cake tin with grease proof paper.
- Place all of the dry ingredients together in a large mixing bowl.
- Mix all of the wet ingredients together with a blender or whisk.
- Place the wet mixture in to the mixing bowl with the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Pour the mixture in to the lined baking tin and place in the middle of the oven for around 50 minutes, or until you poke in a knife and it comes out clean.
- Leave the cake to cool FULLY.
For the vanilla cream cheese frosting:
- While cake is being baked you can start soaking the cashews in water.
- Place all of the ingredients for the frosting in to a good blender or food processor and just blend until creamy and smooth.
- Store in the fridge until ready to spread on top of the fully cooled cake using a piping bag or spatula.
The cake will store well in the fridge or room temperature room, covered, for 3 days or until its eaten. Bets on it’ll be eaten before then anyway. Enjoy.
Also known as “The Fitness Maverick”, Gareth specializes in smarter training techniques to get you strong and looking great naked year round!